Many of us are preparing to visit friends, relatives for upcoming holidays. Whether you are hosting or heading to house parties, stays with relatives, whatever you’re going to do, please take a few extra precautions. We are all expecting fun, good times, a chance to catch up. The awful truth is that every year the lethal cocktail of unsecured weapons, alcohol, arguments, drugs will result in the shooting of people of all ages.
Let’s do all we can to prevent tragedy – a little prevention will save lives.
1 Please read these tips – and act on them:-
- If gun owners are in your home, or homes/venues you will visit, ensure their guns will be locked up unloaded, away from children and adults alike. Most police departments will give out free gun security advice and devices.
- If you have any reservations at all about how a gun owner stores and handles their weapon: consider not being around them.
- If you find yourself in the company of gun owners who are beginning to behave erratically (whether because of alcohol, drugs, arguments – any reason), leave as soon as you can safely do so. Go as soon as you feel concern.
- Keep an eye on children where guns are present: it only takes a moment to find a gun and pull a trigger. Toy guns? Say no to realistic-looking ones.
- Do not be afraid to tell anyone not to bring a gun to your home. Don’t be afraid to say no to visiting places where gun safety is not strictly observed.
2 Please share this message with your friends, family – it might well prevent a tragedy.
Once you have read and shared this action alert, fill out the three fields below and click the orange banner to report taking action! We never share your details; we only use this information to count the actions taken.